Saturday, September 20, 2014

Back to another weekend! . . .

Things are going pretty darned well!  Mark is still not completely back to "normal" when it comes to walking distances or climbing stairs, but he feels pretty good and he's eating normally again at last!  But over the last few months he's lost more than 30 pounds!  That SEEMS scary, but in fact it's making his blood pressure and sugar levels just about normal.  Well, at least he's gotten SOMETHING out of all that terrible stuff that's been happening over the last month or so! 
 
Got a text from Buddy and Lisa - they have a new job but their working hours begin at 5 AM!  Good grief!  I HOPE they make it over to help us deal with the pastures, but I think if I were to have to be to work by 5 AM I would go home and go straight back to bed!!  Well, we'll see how it goes once they get used to those hours -- if they ever do!

I went over to Ken's Guard Dog facility again yesterday afternoon and Gigi was doing even better than she did last week.  Last week he was using one of those prong collars.  This week she was doing well with just a regular choke collar. 





Unfortunately, she hasn't been eating very well.  Ken said she was picking up her bowl and throwing it all over the place and the food was going out of her kennel.  So now he just puts it in there on the concrete so she can't throw it around.  But she's not very happy about it.  She was used to getting canned food mixed into her dry dog food when she was at home.  She's probably irritated not to have that anymore.  So next time I go up there, I'm going to take her bowl from here that she can't pick up and throw around, along with a bunch of those canned foods.  I HOPE his assistant won't mind too much mixing it into her dry food so she can gain back her weight.  (If he doesn't, I'll be taking her home sooner than she would normally be coming home.) 

 
 She isn't completely trained yet, but she really is much MUCH better than she would have to be to keep me satisfied.  

I never took these kinds of pictures before she went up there because she NEVER sat still - EVER!  Now when he tells her to "stay" -- she DOES!




He has done a great job with her.  And I found out yesterday when I was up there that he is actually 83 years old!  Good grief!  He sure doesn't seem like it!  Every day he loads up all those dozens of Rotties and drives them over to the places that are renting them at night.  He takes his Doberman along so that if anyone crosses him while he's in a dangerous neighborhood, he can just tell her she's welcome to go after them and she would LOVE to do that!

See all those white lines on that green concrete sidewalk?  He uses those to tell ME to walk certain distances and turn back at a certain point, etc.  That walk runs all the way around that back yard area and it's a fine place to work with the dogs.  When I got up there, Gigi was out running around that yard and visiting with all the other dogs out there and having a fine time!  I think she was better about working with me after having spent time wearing herself out before I got there!  But hey -- it worked well.  And Ken had fallen and hurt his neck not long after I brought her up there so she wasn't really trained frequently for that first couple weeks.  But she's really making lots of progress now, that's for sure!  I'm actually looking forward to getting her back home at last!

No comments: