Thursday, December 20, 2012

Well, it's been quite a week so far . . .

Mark's sister, Vickie, and her new Westie boy, Sundance ("Sunny") got down here Saturday evening.  As you probably know, she's a wheel in the DC Westie Rescue outfit.  Well, Sundance had been adopted several times since he is absolutely gorgeous -- he definitely looks like a Westie show dog -- but he was always returned after attacking and biting someone in the adopting family. 
The first couple days I couldn't imagine why on earth that would have happened.  He was such a sweetheart.  Vickie would pick him up and hold him upside down like an infant and he would just lay there quietly, apparently enjoying just being held.  But then on Monday, Mark was just walking past him and he jumped up and attacked him, breaking the skin on his leg!  Wow!  Turns out he's just fine UNLESS you surprise him.  Apparently he was napping when Mark walked by and he woke startled.  Gees! 

Vickie took him to a local vet and he's now on a tranquilizer -- Valium, I think it is -- that should keep him from getting all that freaked again and hurting people for the rest of their visit. 

Fortunately for our dogs, he and Vickie headed over to Lafayette this morning to visit with her sister Judy and her niece Christine for the rest of the week.  I had been keeping all three of them in our bedroom all the while Vickie and Sunny were here -- Sunny was freaked by our big dogs, although he did get along fine with Joey.  But I didn't want to leave him with Joey either, though, in case he pissed him off at some point.  A pit could do some serious damage if he were to get aggravated! 

Last night, we had a bad storm come through here in the early hours.  I was sleeping out on the sleeping porch, with Rocky out there as well, but when the curtains on the porch started blowing straight out Rocky got scared, so I went inside and got into our regular bed.  A while later the pipe that weights down the tarp around the hay stored on the barn porch started making a horrendous racket when the wind got so strong it blew it out, pipe and all, and then it would fall back against the concrete.  It was so loud that it woke me up inside the house, and I discovered Boo laying right next to me on the bed with his head under the pillow!  Poor guy.  He must have been terrified because he is NOT allowed on the bed and he's never gotten up there before.  I didn't have it in me to make the poor guy get down, so I just went back to sleep until the storm passed.

Well - I better get back to work.  We filed yet another application today (just a divisional this time), and now I need to get on with the sequence listing for the next app.  We will be off for Christmas Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday next week (lovely!!), but the deadline for a couple of different apps are coming up very soon and with all the days we have off, I only have about 3 or 4 more days to get them ready.  I better get on with it!

No comments: