Saturday, November 24, 2012

New project --

I've been trying to figure out how to clean up the front yard so Lizzie can go out there to graze.  At first I thought we could get Buddy to vacuum up all those leaves and acorns.  But I got a note from him today to say Lisa has been sick so he isn't going anywhere for the time being.  Not a good thing -- sure hope she gets better soon.   
 
Anyway, then I thought I'd get some T-posts and run a temporary wire fence across the front.  But that would take a lot of work from someone other than me, as well.
 
But then it occurred to me that I could use those cross-tie rings I bought a week or so ago to fasten a really long ROPE across the front instead.   But the price for a rope long enough for that was horrendous when I checked Lowes and Home Depot.  But then I found an outfit over in Texas, "ULINE," that had a really strong 600-foot long rope for $79! 
 
 
So I got it ordered and when David comes tomorrow to finish putting those vinyl liners on the stall walls, I'll see if he will install two of those rings on the post by Lizzie's paddock gate, two more on the back of one of the big trees in the front, and two more on the wall at the end of the porch by the garage door.
Those lines are red but that rope is probably going to be bright, BRIGHT yellow.
 
Then I'll be able to run two rows of rope across in a triangle that will keep Lizzie away from that oak tree (and acorns!) there next to the barn AND save most of the plants in front of the porch.  And I THINK 600 feet will probably be enough rope to put a couple more strands there on the left side of the garage, as well, to keep her away from all those holly bushes and things over by the garage as well.
 
It's probably going to look a bit odd -- I think the rope is going to be bright yellow! -- but I'm going to tie the ends onto metal hooks so that when Lizzie goes back into her paddock it'll be easy to release the ropes and just hang them on those hooks on that front tree so they won't be visible to "company."  
 
That rope is supposed to get here on Wednesday.  I'm just hoping that once I put it up Lizzie won't try and get through it.  I know Duke and Arthur would, but Lizzie usually isn't as pushy as they are.  If she doesn't try to go through it, she'll get to stay out in front a LOT if I don't have to keep an eye on her the whole time!   That would be really nice for BOTH of us.

No comments: