Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Southern life . . .

Well, it's not OUR life I'm talking about, but the life of insects and spiders and toads and . . . well, all those things that are so darned prolific here in south Louisiana.  Especially now that we seem to be turning into a North American Rainforest down here. 

Well, it's definitely time for the "Bug Man" around here again for sure.  Yesterday I was about to let one of the dogs out my bathroom door when I saw something out of the corner of my eye moving along the bottom of the wall.  It was an ENORMOUS spider -- a good 4 or 5 inches across!  Eeeek!  Now, we have "Banana Spiders" all over the place down here that are that big, but fairly innocuous.  But this was not one of those.  Don't know what kind it was, but it was a brown hour-glass shaped one with huge black stripes down both sections of it's back.  I did NOT take a chance on him getting a chance to hide before I went after my camera so I didn't get a "live" picture, but I did take a picture after I dumped him in the toilet.  Anyone know what he is?   (His legs were long and thin, and not hairy if that's relevant.)


He looks a little like a wolf spider - but those are striped only on their top half, not all the way down their body.  And from what I could find out, they are NOT that big.  I just wonder if it was poisonous . . .  and if there are more of them inside this house somewhere!!!  Yikes.

And of course we have those horrendous roaches down here who can actually FLY if you try and hit them.  Eeek!  When I see one of those I KNOW it's time to call the Bug Man!

And since we've been having this constant rain - the barn has been oveerrun with tiny little toads.  Poor Lizzie keeps accidentally eating them!  Then she drools as if she were rabid until she gets fed regular food!  Yuk.

Lisa said when they were out in the pasture last weekend that in the high heat in the middle of the day the back pasture that hadn't been mowed was FULL of mosquitos.  Poor Duke.  His white legs seem to attract all kinds of flies and mosquitos that don't seem to bother Lizzie or Arthur.  Last night drops of blood were actually dripping down all his legs.  I cleaned off his legs and sprayed them with fly spray, but although the spray says it lasts for a few days, it doesn't actually seem to work for him for more than a few hours.  Poor guy!

I hope we have a "real" winter this year.  That sure would help cut back on all those critters.  I think the fact that it stayed warm all last winter is the problem at the moment.  I'd be tempted to start looking at property up north if the temp up there weren't about as bad as it is down here at the moment!  Gees!  Maybe we should buy some property up in Iceland in case we need it a decade or two from now!

No comments: