Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Weekend plans

Nice that it's a long weekend coming up.  Mark gets home this afternoon, probably around the same time that Ann will be getting here to examine the horses -- around 3:30.  I've been keeping them both locked in their paddocks eating hay instead of grass for the last few days, and now I've decided that they'll be staying in there until Saturday after Buddy comes to help Mark cut down all three oak trees out in their pasture.  I got several documents about pasture hazards yesterday from that "county agent" -- most of the things listed are not relevant for us, but check out that note about acorns on the right side below.  Apparently it IS possible that they were the cause of Bug's death.  So we're not taking any chance that that could happen to Duke or Lizzie -- the oak trees are going!  Then down the road, we plan to get some sort of lawn vacuum to pick up the leaves from all the other trees back there.  Given Duke's tendency to sunburn, it will be good to continue to have a fair amount of shade, it's just the oak trees that have to go.  Then Mark said he's going to move that fence on the garage side of the house back a dozen feet or so.  That way Duke won't be able to reach the photinia and holly bushes over there any more either!

Then once the vet leaves this afternoon, I'll be heading to the grocery to pick up the supplies for the layered salad and whatever-else we'll be taking over to Janet and Mike's tomorrow for Thanksgiving.  There's not going to be a lot of time to prepare things, but on the other hand, having Thanksgiving on Thanksgiving day this year WILL leave me with three whole days to relax for the rest of the weekend. 

Wonder what Wendy will be doing for Thanksgiving this year?  I hope she finds time to give me a call this weekend sometime so I can find out!  The hospital system where she works just moved their offices AND changed out their computer system, and no one is being allowed to take a single day off until after the first of the year.  Good grief!  Talk about poor planning -- keeping everyone from taking off time for the holidays!  Lucky for them (but not so much for her) that Wendy is always so hesitant to make any sort of change.  (If that were me, I'd have started trying to find a job somewhere else ages ago!)

Well, I better get to work.  I came in more than an hour early this morning so I could leave in time to get home before Ann shows up for the horses.  (Since I'm out of vacation time, that was pretty much my only choice.)

No comments: