Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Poor Gigi -- she's in BAD shape!

Got a note from her insurance outfit indicating that Gigi should have gotten her annual rabies vaccination, etc. last month -- guess I was a bit confused about that since she's due in such a different time from the other dogs.  So I took her over to a vet nearby and it turned out that she actually currently has heartworm disease!  Good grief!  All our dogs have taken Trifexis monthly -- for years -- to prevent heartworms and fleas, etc. and none of our dogs have ever had heartworms. But for some reason it apparently didn't work for Gigi.  Gees! So now she needs to be taking four Doxycycline 100 mg. capsules twice every day for a month.  But getting those capsules down has been a serious problem, so instead of putting them down her throat, I take them apart and mix that powder inside her dog food twice a day.  That usually works -- she generally eats it completely.  But when she decides NOT to eat, Mark has been making scrampled eggs for me to add onto the top of her food -- she generally scarfs it all down instantly with those eggs on there!  But good grief . . . I'm sure going to be glad not to have to get four big pills down twice a day after another couple weeks!  Phew!

Next week she's going over to LSU for them to check out exactly what's going to need to be done at the end of the month -- she'll probably be having serious surgery. Poor baby!   But instead of having that worked on by any local vet, I definately want her to get it done at LSU.  I trust them completely for anything that needs done for ANY of our animals -- dogs, cats, horses, mules . . . ANYONE!  They are SO good!

Well, I've been feeling SO bad about her these last couple weeks, but I sure hope that eventually Gigi WILL be okay again.  But that poor baby is going to feel pretty darned bad for a while after they kill those heartworms.  I was told that she'll have to be kept inside in her crate without allowing her to move around at all for quite a while.  But she WILL eventually be okay.  I sure hope so anyway!  Poor, poor baby.

No comments: