Friday, February 6, 2015

Money, money, money . . .

Our money is going, going, GOING!   At least we're hoping it will anyway!

I mean I'm taking enough money (I hope) from my 401(k) fund to pay off our house so that we will (hopefully) be able to manage well with just our Social Security incomes.  Well -- and Mark's military disability income as well - although that's much less. All together, it's going to be less than half as much as our working salaries used to be, but it SHOULD be sufficient (we hope) once the house is paid off.  Of course we're still going to have to keep on paying Jerry -- probably for the rest of our lives! He deals with maintaining the property and keeping the barn and pastures tidied up, and he moves around everything that's too heavy for us to deal with as well.  We're EXTREMELY grateful to have him. He generally comes by every weekend, but if we call him at any other time at all, he will come right over to help with whatever we need.  And he lives so close by that he's there in just a couple minutes! We're SO lucky to have him! 

Well, I let everyone at the office know this week that I will soon be retiring.  But it probably won't be for a while, actually. The woman who handles computer issues is the one who wants to take my job, but she hasn't done it before so I will be hanging out with her while she learns what she needs to do. Then I'll "retire" more or less -- but anytime she needs some help with something that hasn't come up before, she can just give me a call and I'll come back in.  

As for me when I first came to work here, I had worked for Greg Lunn, a patent attorney, for four years up in Cincinnati before marrying Mark and taking this job down here in Baton Rouge, so I already knew a lot about what needed to be done -- although here I have to do everything, while in Cinci there were areas of the firm where other folks did docketing, others did foreign patent filings, and still others did the patent drawings, but I had to learn to do all those things here myself -- and everything else, for that matter -- since there were only two patent attorneys in this law firm originally (and now there's only one!), while at Wood, Herron & Evans in Cinci there were close to 100 of them!   That firm does strictly patents and trademarks and it has been doing so since it opened up clear back in 1868!  As it turned out, that was a fine place to learn originally how to deal with patents.

As for retirement, all I know for sure is that what we'll be doing is dealing with all our critters!  Sure is something I'm looking forward to and NOT dreading!  (And Mark especially loves dealing with our horses.)

Well, I guess in a little while we will get our life rearranged and get a new idea of exactly how we want to function without needing to go to work anymore!  (Imagine that!) Amazing that that's happening right now!  "Already!"  Wow! 

No comments: