Sunday, August 24, 2014

Sunday . . . absolute terror!

As I said earlier, Dr. Lyons talked with us just an hour or so after Mark went into surgery, saying that he had done what needed to be done for now (removing all the adhesions from Mark's earlier surgery), but he would have to re-check his colon in a day or so.  Well when Mark was in the recovery room he apparently had two terrible problems.  First of all, he sort of threw up.  He was still on the ventilator so his lungs were pretty much sealed, but it IS possible that at least a few drops of that could have gotten into his lungs somehow, in which case he is going to have a really difficult infection for them to deal with.  And second, and most terrifying, his heart rate dropped to almost nothing -- 18, I think they said!  So they called in a cardiologist and he stayed in the recovery room for another hour, then they took him up to an ICU room where he is still on the ventilator and being sedated so that he doesn't wake up enough to try and fool with all the things he's connected to.  Even if he were able to breathe on his own, they refuse to remove the ventilator until Dr. Lyons has re-checked his colon and determined whether colon surgery will be necessary or not because they said that reinstalling the ventilator would be too dangerous.  But I'll tell you what, when I go in there, seeing him as he is now is absolutely terrifying!  And I'm only allowed in during certain hours -- 10 to 11 AM, 1 to 2 PM, 5 to 6 PM and 9 to 10 PM.  So I'm going to be doing a LOT of running back and forth over the next however-many days.  I need to come home and deal with all the animals and make myself eat something other than junk out of one of those machines over there. I'll tell you what, I HATE this.  I wanted him to have that surgery so he would feel great and be back to his normal self right away.  This is just a really awful result. 
 
I'd very much appreciate it if any of you who do that, will pray for him.  I love him so much.  I can't begin to imagine having a life without him.  Please, please, PLEASE let him get well.

No comments: