Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Gigi . . .

Got a call from Ken yesterday afternoon - on the very first day he was to begin working with Gigi.  That scared me to death to begin with.  He had told me that I was not to come by there for two full weeks so I didn't expect to hear from him this soon at all.  As soon as I realized it was him, I was immediately afraid that Gigi had either bitten him - or gotten eaten by one of his guard dogs!  Yikes!
 
But in fact, he just wanted to tell me that he was particularly pleased with just how bright he's finding that she is.  He's having no problem at all (already!) getting her used to listening to him.  Of course, Ken also told me that the man who feeds his dogs and cleans out their pens is very much afraid of her!  When he comes near her pen she stops moving, stares at him, and growls low continuously, so he does NOT want to go in there!  Seems odd for him to fear her at 8 months, when he has no problem dealing with all those grown Rottweiler guard dogs! But I told Ken that once she's very fond of him, he should take that man with him and introduce him to her and then she should be just fine with the guy - no growling - because I've been able to do that with the vets and my friends.  Anyone I like she doesn't growl at, but anyone she's never seen and who isn't with me? . . . yep.  Major growling.  And I'll be glad if she does continue to growl at  strangers!  That was our point in getting a Cane Corso to begin with - they're supposed to be very very good at protection. 
 
Anyway, things seem to be going well up there.  I was very glad to hear that.
 
Vickie called yesterday, too.  She's going to come down to see Judy since she's in the hospital again.  Vickie is heading out from DC starting very early Wednesday, so 17 hours later she should be driving up at our house - in the middle of the night, probably!  Mark will have stopped in Lafayette to see Judy on his way home Wednesday, so he'll be able to tell Vickie how things are going over there before she heads over Thursday morning.  I'll tell you what, I sure hope they manage to get Judy stabilized so she can go on back home.  Poor thing.

No comments: