Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Finally -- a Gigi solution . . . Ken!

Talked to Ken, the guy who trained Niki, our Black Russian Terrier, years ago.  He's also the one who gave me Bruce Lee when I brought Niki home (this was back in 2003).  Bruce Lee was one of Ken's 60-some Rottweiler guard dogs who had come down with hip dysplasia and so could no longer work as a guard dog. 



Here's Bruce Lee with Gracie, a Boxer who just showed up at our house one day, very thin and obviously abandoned.  She was extremely happy to hang with Bruce Lee!

When I first got him he was less than friendly!  But here he is later - a real sweetheart
(except for Ben, a Chow-mix we had at the time -- he would attack him every time he got a chance).


I hadn't called Ken earlier about training Gigi because I had heard that someone else had taken over his OK Guard Dog business, but when I finally called to see if the new guy did private training as well, Ken actually answered.  Turned out he had actually fired the guy he had gotten to take over his guard dog business so now Ken is back handling everything himself - even though he's at least my age!   
 
Here's Ken training Niki, our Black Russian Terrier pup, back in 2003!  He may well be at least as old as I am, but on the other hand, a guy who has dozens and dozens of Rottweilers like he has that he rents out for them to guard facilities at night is obviously still more than capable of dealing with an 8-month-old puppy - even Gigi!
 
Ken said he currently trains a maximum of 5 dogs at a time, and he does have 5 at the moment.  But one is ready to go this weekend (a Doberman, I think he said), so Gigi will be going over next week.  Yeaaaa!!   Ken was SO good with Niki.  She was just about as awful as Gigi and when she came home in about a month after his training she was terrific.  He charges a specific amount and no matter how long it takes to get them to behave, the cost doesn't change - thankfully!  Because Ken said he thought it actually might well take longer than the standard 6 weeks he usually spends training them, since he will be working with a Cane Corso who is older than 6 months!!  He's all too familiar with Cane Corso's and he really wished I had called him about her back in May or June, but hey . . . he's going to take her anyway so I am absolutely ecstatic!
 
I'll be going over there regularly so I can also work with her with his help, so I'll keep you posted.  Sure am looking forward to having that extremely aggressive girl gone for while!   Whew!  What a relief!

No comments: