Monday, February 11, 2013

Staying home for a whle --

Woke up this morning and both eyes were stuck shut.  Spooky.  Once I got up and washed my face and got all the sticky gunk off of them, I looked in the mirror and my right eye was swollen and twitching.  Sooo . . . called Dr. Tabor and went over there this morning.  She gave me two prescriptions -  antibiotic pills for my sinus infection, and an eye drop antibiotic for my eyes.  That one was a big surprise.  It's a tiny little bottle only an inch high containing no more than 5cc and it was $50 AFTER the insurance payment!!   It by golly BETTER clear up my eyes!!  Good grief. 
 
At any rate, I stayed home from work today and will probably stay home tomorrow as well since that one eye in particular bothers me a lot and I end up having to lay down and close my eyes at least every couple hours.
 
But good news about our electrical today, anyway.  For the last couple months, every time there's a high wind, some of our electrical starts blinking on and off.  Now we have a large generator that automatically takes over whenever the power goes out, but it couldn't deal with that constant blinking instead of a full power outage.  Well, every time that had happened before, Mark was at work.  THIS time, thankfully, he was here at home.  So he went out and checked the line coming into the house and found that the problem had to be somewhere before our meter, so he called Entergy and they considered it an "emergency" (thank you) and sent a guy out this morning right after Mark called them.  Turned out the connection at the post on the road had gotten old and when the wind blew it was moving back and forth enough that the power from one of the two lines was going off and on.  So he replaced that whole connector and now things are back to normal again.  Thank goodness!  All that "off and on" had worn out the battery in the generator and Mark had to replace that as well.  But now I guess we're ready for any storms to come for the NEXT 20 years.  (The guy said the connector on the street post had been there since the house was built - probably 30 years or so ago.)
 
So although things aren't perfect at the moment, I feel pretty good about how everything is working out.  The house is okay.  The storms will have gone by in another day or so.  I expect I'll be back to normal and back to work by Wednesday.  All is well.
 
Of course, right now it IS still pouring down rain outside.  But I keep thinking about how good it is that we have our horses here at home these days in their nice comfy barn instead of over at Al's place, where they were the first few years we had them.  Over there during a storm, unless we went over and led them inside, they were out in a pasture with a lot of other horses and access to NO cover of any sort.  And that pasture was right under two rows of those gigantic power lines with dozens of wires up there.  That always worried me big time during storms. 
 
This was someone else's horse - can't remember her name -
but those power line towers are very visible in this pic.
There were TWO rows of multiple power lines running through that pasture.

There's Duke - and someone else's horse.  (He always had fans hanging out with him there.) 

And here's Ladybug - with a good picture of how that pasture looked.
Unlike Duke,  Bug was almost always alone.  She was NOT friendly with other horses.
 
It's so nice now to be able to just look over from the house in the direction of the barn when it rains and see the horses happily standing in their stalls eating hay, or lying on the floor sleeping comfortably.
 
And that's what I'm going to be doing myself shortly.  Well - not lying on the floor, but sleeping comfortably anyway.

No comments: