Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Loooong week --

Sure enough -- the Gulf is so stormy that Mark can't get off the rig until probably Thursday.  Last night he sent me their weather notice that resulted in their being stuck out there:

WILKENS WEATHER TECHNOLOGIES WWT OFFICE NO.:
29 January 2013 21:37:00 CST / 03:37:00 UTC Email: wwt@WilkensWeather.com

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Severe - Gulf

SEVERE WEATHER STATEMENT FOR THE GULF OF MEXICO

*** Gale Warning in effect from the Matagorda Ship Channel southward until 6pm Wednesday.***
 
** Gale Force wind gusts will spread eastward in the wake of the cold front across the entire northern Gulf late tonight through Wednesday.**
  

** A squall line may develop along the cold front as it moves eastward across the northern Gulf.**
  
A strong cold front will be at the Texas coast tonight around midnight. The front will then move quickly eastward to central Louisiana by 6AM and then to the Delta by noon.
  
Strong to near gale force southerly winds and building seas will continue ahead of the front. After the front passes winds will turn to the northwest at around 30 knots with gusts to 40 knots for most of the Gulf.
  
A line of strong to severe thunderstorms may develop along the front over the northern Gulf, especially once the front reaches central Louisiana and points eastward. WWT will continue to closely monitor the potential for squall line to develop tonight.
Well, if he has to stay out there I hope he gets to at least rest and take some meds.  He's still sick as a dog!

I'll tell you what - I do love my job, but I think I'm going to really like it when both Mark and I are retired and always home together.  (Tell me I'm right Jan and Mike, and Dale and Shirley.)

I never would have thought that would be the case 15 or 20 years back when Mark and I first got together.  I was SO addicted to my privacy and actually LIKED living alone.  In fact, I really liked having him working offshore then so we were together only half the time!  That is definitely no longer the case!   They say a marriage cools off after the first 12 years, but in our case . . . not so much! 

At least from my perspective -- guess I shouldn't speak for him.  ;-D

But given all the CNN Special Reports I've been receiving about all the things that storm is doing around the rest of the country, I guess Mark having to stay out on a perfectly safe rig is just not all that awful!    For example . . .
A massive storm system moving across the South caused a tornado near Adairsville, Georgia, 60 miles north of Atlanta. Local TV stations are showing dozens of cars overturned on Interstate 75 and several buildings damaged. All lanes of the interstate are blocked in both directions near Adairsville, the Georgia Department of Transportation reports.

No comments: