Saturday, January 26, 2013

.A FINE weekend . . .

Buddy and Lisa were back today (yeaaaa!).  They really cleaned this place up!  I am so grateful!  Lisa still isn't feeling well though, so I'm not sure that was such a fine idea for her.  I hope she didn't feel worse by the time they left. 

We had decided, though, to dump all the poo back behind the cottage in the back pasture, instead of over outside the fence.  That should have made it a little more convenient anyway.  No going in and out a gate in an electric fence anymore.   And there are so many trees around that new area that there was no grass for the horses there anyway.  And it's not going to attract that many flies and things since they all take that Solitude IGR so flies can't lay eggs in their poo.  Well, I guess they can - but no flies can hatch there.  And putting it there  will definitely make it possible to have someone come in once or twice a year and scoop it all up and haul it away.  We just don't have nearly enough land to spread it out over a pasture like they do on big farms. 


You can see that no grass was growing there anyway . . .
and you won't be able to see it from the house either.

 
 
Look how nice Lizzie's front pasture area looks! 
You can't even tell that that messy girl has been out there anymore!
 _________________________

This morning I was SUPPOSED to go pay for that really good deal I got on that oven over at Appliance Distributors, but I didn't go.  They close at noon and I didn't want to drive ANYWHERE in that fog this morning.  Hey - I could barely see the front gate let alone the road this morning!  Here was the view from the front porch:

 
And here was the view from the SAME place yesterday afternoon.  See - it's not all that far to be invisible!
 
 
And check out the view (or lack of one) from  the back window!




Okay -- that was as good an excuse as any.  But I do need to deal with that oven though.  I've been holding off picking it up because David hasn't been ready to install it, but I think they've waited on me long enough.  I'd hate to have them let it go to someone else -- I doubt I could find another one at such a good price.  So I guess I'll just TRY and get them to hang onto it after I pay them until I can get David or SOMEONE over to put it in for us.  I really don't want to set it in the dining room and then have to walk around it indefinitely!  (NOT that I'm not used to having all kinds of junk sitting around in our house -- we definitely DO.)  I guess I need to send David an e-mail and see what he's been up to lately.  He must have found someone who's making him wealthier than we can!

Tomorrow is this year's "Krewe of Mutts" mardi gras parade for dogs and it's going to be a perfect day again tomorrow.  It usually is for that parade.  Here are the pictures from last year's parade on the CAAWS web site.  CAAWS (Capital Area Animal Welfare Society) has been sponsoring that pet parade for 14 years now to raise money for their rescue group and publicize the dogs they have for adoption.  Jan and I both used to be on the CAAWS Board - in fact, Jan was president and bought their building for them back in the day.  That was a while ago, though.  Pre-horse days for the two of us . . .
_______________________

Just bought myself a couple of Kindle books on teaching horses tricks, like bowing and retrieving things, and nodding their heads in response to questions, etc. -- I'm thinking that might keep ours as busy as they should be, even if we aren't riding them.  We'll see.  Looks interesting, though.

Well, time to check around and see what kind of healthy food I can find for dinner.  Oh - I got myself a VERY cool scale -- it came yesterday -- that doesn't tell you how much you weigh . . .  it only says how much you have gained or lost from your start date (and mine was yesterday).  I do NOT want to think about what I weigh.  But I DO want to see a lovely "-50" down the road eventually.  So as I said -- it's time to go find some (ahem) "healthy" food.  ;-D

No comments: