Monday, November 5, 2012

It was a nice weekend.  It would have been nicer if Mark had stayed home, but it was good.  Vickie and John came by and stayed overnight on Saturday on their way home from Opelousas to DC.  Unfortunately, neither of our A/C's are functioning (lots of electrical problems since Mark went back to work -- I don't think David's electrical help knows all he needs to know), but John put one of the screens back on an upstairs window, and I hauled a fan in from the barn so they could cool off their bedroom. 
  
That A/C problem may have something to do with the electrical hook-up of the wiring out in the barn - Mark told me to be sure the guy doing the electrical doesn't do another single thing until he comes home Wednesday, just to be sure.  When I plugged in the ceiling fan in the barn the outlet shot out sparks all over the place and when I told him about that he did NOT want anyone fooling with anything until he could be home to supervise.  He may not be able to climb up in the attic or the rafters in the barn, but he DOES know how the electric SHOULD be handled.  After all, he HAS been in charge of the electrical on his oil rig for more than 2o years!

Then when I headed out to feed the horses on Sunday morning, I opened the front door and was immediately faced with a huge dead mouse lying on the rug in front of the door!  Yuk!  Garage Cat had obviously been on the job and brought me a present!  I was VERY glad that Vickie and John were still here because John was glad to pick up the dead rat and dump it over in the canal.  Eeek!  Gives me chills just thinking about picking the thing up.

Oh - and when Vickie and John went over to walk around their new property next door, they went out that gate that Arthur escaped from last week.  And the MINUTE he saw us at that gate, he came running over -- probably hoping we'd mess up and not cover the thing up again.  He does so want to go out and wander around over there.  Maybe one day after they get it cleared, they'll go ahead and fence it, and he'll be able to go hang out over there.  He would obviously love that!  But while they were exploring Saturday, I stayed there at the gate.  Just wanted to be absolutely sure when they came back that the chain got put back on so it would be Arthur-proof!

Didn't do any riding this weekend, but Arthur DID get a haircut.  I've been letting his mane grow out the whole six months I've had him but no matter how long it got (and it got pretty darned long) it never did lay down.  And he looked pretty darned silly with 6-inch hair standing straight up -- or at some spots out to the side like an awning!  So now he has NO mane.  He seems to like that, though.  He loves having the top of his neck brushed.  And I love having him stick his head under my arm while I do that - just like Boo does when you're petting him.  Hey - I love having horses (and a mule) who behave like giant dogs! 

Oh, and the lighting in the barn turned out to be helpful in more than one way -- I could not only see what the heck I was doing when I fed them after dark, but the moment I turned on the lights, they all came FLYING into their stalls from the back pasture!  Duke always did come racing up the moment he realized I was there, but I often had to go all the way out to the back and call Lizzie to get her to follow me in.  But she came came automatically when the light came on.  I say "CAME" on because it only worked for a couple days and now those switches don't work either. 

Well, when Mark comes home they'll be working again and from then on, I won't need to go tromping out into the pasture in the rain or the freezing cold looking for her this winter.  Lovely!
   
Got a call from David this afternoon.  He was going to install Mark's medicine cabinet today - but when he opened the box, ALL THREE of the door mirrors were broken.  Well at least it came from Home Depot, so I can return it easily.  directly and not have to mail it back.  But the problem is that when I tried to re-order it and have it sent to the store for pick-up, it wouldn't allow that for that particular one.  And I don't want to have another one mailed.  So I don't know what we'll do.  They did say they would have UPS come pick the thing up and return it tomorrow so I won't have to take it back to the store -- a good thing since it's too heavy for me to even pick up! 
  
As I was driving home this evening, it was pouring rain so hard I could barely see the road!   But I drove out of it a few miles before I got home.  So I was able to go feed the horses and lock them in their paddocks, give them all plenty of hay and clean water before the storm got to us.  Nice not to have to deal with things in pouring rain.  And now that's past, so tomorrow when I go over to vote I won't have to worry about going in the rain. 

So - time for bed so I can get up early and stop to vote on my way in to the office.

Hope all of you will be going to vote, too!

No comments: