Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Life . . . and the end of Pat's

SO many things are going on.  For starters, Mark will be home again tomorrow morning!   
 
As David was leaving today, he told me that his girlfriend/wife is pregnant! . . .but they're not going to tell family until she gets to 4 months because she lost her baby in her previous pregnancy.  That just about killed her mother, so she doesn't want to let her know about it this time until she's sure it won't happen again.  But come on -- if she's afraid (and obviously, she is), she needs the companionship of family through this whole thing, doesn't she??  Well.  It's not like I can convince her of anything.   

 
All day tomorrow, David is going to be painting things around here -- the inside of the stalls, the tack room and storage room, the front door, the porch posts and trim, and EVEN our old wicker porch furniture!  Can't WAIT to get home from work tomorrow and check it all out!!!

 
And today he climbed up into the porch attic and spread out mothballs to run off all the wasps (and sprayed the ones flying around up there while he was at it).    I thought he would just open the vent at the end of the porch and throw it in there.  I had no idea he would crawl all the way around the house in that porch roof!  Brave guy!

 
Got a note from Cory Bourque about the horse clinic this weekend saying I need to bring a rope halter and a training stick, as well as Arthur's regular saddle.  Hmm.  Even Zoilo didn't EVER take off his halter because Arthur knows perfectly well that without a halter you can't control him.  So if you take it off, he is GONE!  Sigh.  This weekend is  going to be a major challenge!
 
Laura, the girl I worked with nights over in Dallas while I was in college, called me today at work!   I hadn't talked with her in years.  I always enjoyed Laura.  But the last couple times we've talked she's told me how furious she is at various doctors and hospitals.  I think she spends waaaay too much time being angry at folks.  I think you just need to do what you can to change some things so they don't happen again, but since there's nothing you can do after the fact, it screws up YOUR life rather than theirs, to keep continually thinking about all that.  Well - that's MY opinion, anyway. 
 
But a really sad thing yesterday was when Jan let me know that Pat, the horse she and Mike rescued a dozen years ago, is gone now.  I don't know what happened - she didn't feel like talking about it yet, and I can certainly understand that.  That's how I felt after I lost Ladybug.  But the boy had a fine life, thanks to them.  He was very close to dying when they found him so they gave him a dozen happy and no doubt unexpected years.  I hope they remember that.
 
This is the picture I posted on Facebook after she told me.
 
 
And here are the pictures she posted when she made the announcement --
 
This was taken when he was young - while he was racing, and before he needed rescued.
 
This one was taken after they got him healed.  Beautiful boy.

 
He was beautiful, wasn't he?

No comments: