Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Wednesday 7 AM

I was SO exhausted by the time I went to bed last night that I'm just now getting up -- and that probably wouldn't be happening now if the dogs weren't in the habit of going out, then eating at 6 AM.  (They DO wake you then.)
 
A bit of a surprise that it's not all that bad here just yet.  But when I turned on the news, the info wasn't good.  Instead of continuing to come ashore last night, Isaac remained on the coast, moving very slightly west.  What's bad about that is that the very worst place to be in a hurricane is in the northeast quadrant -- and that's EXACTLY where we're going to end up.  But it's moving SO slowly that they're saying now that it will be this evening before it actually gets up here to Baton Rouge. 

 
And in the meantime, the storm continues to sit right on the coast and pull horrendous amounts of water in.  The levees around homes down in Plaquemine Parish are only 8 feet high and the current storm surge is 12 feet so the homes there are currently sitting in 5 feet of water! 
 
It's hard to imagine just HOW slowly this thing is moving.  That has never been the case with hurricanes in the past.  At this point, I doubt very much that the office will be opening up again until Friday!   
 
Well, in the meantime, since we are apparently between bands at the moment since the wind is way down now, I think I'm going to go let the horses out into their paddocks and clean up their stalls.  They're saying that it's going to get much worse here around 10 AM, so that should give me just about the right amount of time.
 
Later . . .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Stay safe!!! I wish the best for you guys and your pets! I'll be thinking of you!

Love you!

David Anzelc