Tuesday, August 28, 2012

8 PM

The storm is supposedly nowhere near here yet (it's clear down at Grand Isle at the moment) - but it's so windy outside here now that the dogs are terrified to go out there.  (Can't blame 'em!)   One of the strong bands is coming up on New Orleans right now.  The sustained winds are a little over 80 with wind up high - about the 10th floor level - is well over 100 mph.  Yikes.  I didn't know it was that much faster higher up.  No wonder tall trees are a problem!
 
I guess ultimately it was a good thing that I worked my butt off all day today - if I wait to go to bed until late (and I'm sure I will) I will no doubt sleep soundly all night long.  The horses are inside their protected stalls.  The dogs are in the house.  Even all the CATS are inside!  (The "garage cat" is . . . yep, in the garage.)  So not too much to worry about at the moment -- I hope.
 
Good grief.  The news just reported that there are already 60,000 people out of power in Orleans Parish.  Wow.  Sure glad we have a generator.  Still, not everything around here will run when the power goes out.  No hot water, for instance.  (Glad I just got a shower!)
 
I did discover at least one good thing, though - once we closed those sliding shutters over the dining room and bedroom windows, we couldn't even hear the wind in those two rooms anymore.  I knew they'd protect the windows, but I had no idea they would affect sound.  THAT's a good thing. 
 
Well, time to step out on the porch and see what's happening.  (I HATE that this is happening at night.)

No comments: