Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Today's been a better day . . .



Haven't seen Al since the weekend, but he IS still feeding the horses in the morning so I guess the horses are safe - for now anyway! 

Unfortunately, Mark found out yesterday that the drilling company he works for is laying off pretty much everyone -- AGAIN (except Mark, of course -- he's the only one they've got who knows everything there is to know about those old jack-up rigs).  But apparently the medics ARE all going to be gone because the company is making Mark spend his whole first week off at "First Responder" school while he's off this time so that he can be re-certified to deal with accidents if there are no medics.  Of course that means he's only going to have one week off instead of two this time.  Sigh.  But he still thinks he can have the fencing and stalls completed by April.  Hope he's right!
___________________

Last weekend Torri rode Mark's horse, Duke, for a while.  (Thank you, thank you, thank you, Torri!)   I don't ride Duke - I fell off of him once and now he thinks HE'S in charge when I'm on him.  I tend to agree with him!   My arthritic hands aren't strong enough to pull him around and stop him when I need to and he seems to know that all too well!  But the guy did very well for Torri, so she's stashed his saddle in with her tack so she can ride him again when she gets a chance.  We are grateful!  He needs to be ridden and Mark is not going to have time until our place is ready to bring him home!

I love the picture below! Torri is smiling because his gait is sooo smooth - but he's looking at me out the corner of his eyes like "Hey! . . . Just because I'm behaving for her doesn't mean YOU can ride me again!"

There's that look on his face again!

___________________ 


Tried that saddle Janet loaned me on Lizzie and Bug and it seems to work really well for both of them!  Amazing.  In Bug's case, my other saddle DOES fit her, but the girth is too far forward and tends to rub against the back of her legs.  Janet's saddle has Y-rigging that allows you to move the girth backward and forward to wherever the best spot is for that particular horse.  Unfortunately, all the cinches I have are way too short for that set-up so I had to tie off the latigo at the bottom instead of at the top by the saddle ring, which didn't seem very secure.  So I'll just work them both in the round pen until I can get either a longer cinch or longer latigos.  I did get on for a short time just to try out the saddle and it's super comfy for me, as well!  Because of the structure of the saddle, the seat placement falls further back on the horse which seem to makes it easier for them to gait from what I could see in the round pen.  I'll find that out for sure once I get the rigging all set up.


__________________________



Al's mini-goats had babies last fall. Here's one of the daddy goats (he's less than 2 feet high):

And here's one of his babies.  They are all SO cute.  When they run around they look like little wind-up toys!

___________________________________________

Since our new phones work like ipods, we have our music stored on there.  But of course a phone's speakers are NOT good for music.  So I ordered a portable speaker so we wouldn't have to keep headphones on to hear the music, particularly in the car.  Well, that speaker came today and wow! . . . is that thing ever TINY!  It's smaller than the phone!!  But it does have stereo speakers and it also works as a speaker phone.  You just hit the button on the top and it answers the phone and automatically puts the music on "hold."   But look at the size of the thing!

 I took this picture of the speaker and phone on a magazine so you can see just HOW tiny the thing is! 

No comments: