Saturday, February 8, 2014

Loooong day over at LSU Emergency Vet Clinic . . .

Haven't been able to get Boo to eat OR drink at all for the last couple days and last night he started acting really REALLY peculiar.  When I would sit down in the chair in the living room, he would jump up on my lap!  He never does that normally.  He weighs almost a hundred pounds -- that's NOT something I can manage!  Then when I went to bed, instead of sleeping either in the dog bed next to my bed or in that big dog bed in the living room as he usually does, he climbed up onto the bed and laid down ON TOP OF ME!!!  Good grief!  That has never happened before!  I managed to roll over and dump him onto the bed next to me (not easy!  he weighs a ton!) and I let him stay there for the night, but he panted and shook all night long. 
 
So first thing this morning I took him up to the LSU Emergency Clinic to find out what the heck is going on.  He spent half a day over there!  He was dehydrated so they gave him some subcutaneous fluids (and gave me an additional container so I can do it again tomorrow).  Then on Monday morning he will be going back to get an abdominal ultrasound done.  They said the x-rays weren't quite good enough to really know what's going on in his stomach and intestines. 
 
They also sent home with us a couple of different kinds of canned food that they think dogs will definitely want to eat.  We'll see.  He DID immediately go drink for a good while when we first came into the house, though -- something he hadn't done in a good while.  So maybe the things they did will help him.  We'll see.  But they said if he goes down for any reason I can bring him back over there anytime of the day or night.  Well - maybe from their end.   But from my end, if he goes down I'm not sure I can actually get him into the truck to get him over there.   He's pretty darned heavy!
 
Well - we'll see how things go tonight.  Hopefully he will be willing to sleep on Mark's side of the bed and NOT on top of me!

No comments: