Monday, December 10, 2012

Some morning! . . .

Went to bed on a lovely day, 78 degrees, clear, soft breeze.  Got up in horrendous rain storm.  It's coming through in front of a major cold front.  Tornado warnings.  Heard on the news on the way to work that a tornado had just hit in Baker (north Baton Rouge) this morning.  The news was also saying that it's SNOWING over in Dallas at the moment -- and moving this way.   As I drove in to work this morning, Nicholson Drive (the road running through LSU) was almost a foot deep in water!  Glad I drive a truck.  I watched the cars in front of me splashing water clear up to their roofs even though they were driving extremely slowly!

Well, at least it was really nice all weekend anyway.  Mark's help spent most of his time picking up branches and sticks in the pasture and hauling them out to the front so Mark will be able to "vacuum" up the leaves and things back there (if it ever dries out).   Once that was done, he spread winter rye grass seed over the front half of the back pasture and over the front yard where Lizzie grazes.  Doing that right before the rain was a fine arrangement.  No doubt those seeds will be coming up in no time now.

Yesterday Jan and Mike came by and we WERE going to go down to Sacs to find a particular type of headstall for Digger, Jan's horse, that she's riding with just a hackamore.   I think it looked pretty much like this - except the padding on Digger's is very soft and fuzzy - not neoprene.

While I was looking for a photo, I came across this one.  It looks like you could more easily set the hackamore at exactly the right place on their nose - but then I probably don't know as much about it as Jan does.  Still -- cute, huh?

Anyway -- we were headed for Sacs Western Store down in Gonzales but ended up stuck in the most horrendous traffic you could imagine!  Turns out we got down there just as a Christmas parade had ended.  What a mess!  Probably took about 45 minutes to go maybe 2 miles.  And THEN Sacs turned out to be closed for the day!!  Oh, well -- we went back up to Tractor Supply and picked up everything we needed there instead.  I even finally remembered to get salt blocks that we've been out of for a couple months and I just keep forgetting about.

We stopped at Mike Anderson's restaurant for dinner, then came back to the house where Mike got our wireless internet system fixed so that it requires a password -- FINALLY!   The darned thing kept refusing to allow me to do that for some reason -- it kept saying I wasn't the administrator!   But of course Mike knows how to take charge and get that sort of thing done whether it likes it or not!

So now I'm at work -- another Monday.  I have a feeling it's going to be a loooong day.  But I guess, given the miserable weather, if I need to work a long day, this is a good one.  (I don't have a window here in my office so I can easily forget how yukky it is out there!)

Hope your day is going well.

No comments: