Thursday, September 13, 2012

And once again, life is good . . .

Just got a call from David.  Among other things, he told me that he so appreciates the amount of work we have given him lately that he is going to build us that louvered panel for the end of our front porch!  He had gotten a number of estimates for purchasing the louvered portion, the lowest of which was over $500 -- JUST for the louvers!  So we had decided not to bother.  So I'm so excited to hear that he's going to make one for us.  We have only to pay for the materials - not his time.   It's a present, he said, because we've given him so much work.  Mark is so pleased with everything he's done so far that he told him yesterday that he'd just like to adopt him.  I guess that was flattering to him.

The truth is, he's told me that he would like to adopt both David AND Bryan -- but Bryan is a "bit" different from David so I doubt that Mark will actually tell Bryan that.   ;-D

I haven't taken any pictures yet, but David has also finished replacing all the rotted wood on the porches, front and back, and he's sanded the porch floor, as well.  I need to leave him a color choice tonight and then he will be painting the porch floor.  Once it dries, he's putting a coat of "marine-grade urethane" on there to keep it from wearing off.  Sounds good to me! 

As for the posts, he has replaced two that were rotted and leveled out the porch roof by adjusting the level of the posts (that were previously uneven).   All the posts are going to be repainted with waterproof paint, and he is also going to put a "base" under all of them so that water can just run off under them without soaking up into the wood.


I'll tell you what - once he finishes up, the house will probably be good to go for as long as we are alive!   And hopefully it will still be in good enough shape by then that Wendy will be able to make some money selling it!


Oh, just a note -- as I have mentioned before, I very much enjoy Mary Muncil's blog "White Feather Farm."  This entry is a particularly good example that what happens in life, happens for a reason -- something I believe but need a frequent reminder about! 

Okay - back to work.  I have to leave early today because the vet is coming by at 3 to give Arthur a West Nile vaccination, along with all his other shots.  (She'll be giving  everyone else their yearly shots as well while she's at it.) 

Enjoy your day!

No comments: