Tuesday, August 7, 2012

More done . . . and a little undone - as usual

Got home today and found that David had removed all that sheetrock that Joey had chewed up and replaced it with good sturdy plywood. 


He hadn't glued the formica on because he wanted me to confirm that the height is what I want.  (It is - 32".) 


So tomorrow he's going to glue that formica on there and put on a nice chair rail along the top and nice wide baseboard along the bottom.  Excellent!  Too bad I won't be able to pick up that marble windowsill until the weekend.  But I'll still be able to put a nice chair and table in place and put the curtains back up.  Looking forward to being able to sit there by the window and read, watch TV, look out into the front yard - gonna be nice. 

He also got the overhang on the porch repaired - the one that blew out during Gustav.  That was when? . . . 2008, I think? 

No one had the same beige color, though, so he had to use white that will be painted to match the rest later on.  But at least now nothing can get in there.  There have been birds building nests in that corner space every year, and wasps building nests in the narrow open space.  Glad neither thing can happen again now. 

All that was a very pleasant surprise since David had the flu since last week and I didn't expect him back over here until later in the week.  Nice!

But then when I went out to feed the horses this evening, I found that a huge branch on that tree next to the paddocks that we plan to have cut down had broken off and come down onto the fence dividing the center paddock from the back pasture.   That's the bad thing about having an office with no window -- I had no idea there was any storm today.  Or maybe there wasn't.  Maybe the thing just plain fell off - who knows.


That wire fence doesn't LOOK all that sturdy, but it's a darned strong fence, that's for sure.  Even that 3-foot tree that fell on the back fence didn't actually break anything. 
And this branch has really only affected that very top wire.
Well, at least the thing didn't fall down on the OUTSIDE fence anyway.   So at least they can't try to go down the road and visit the neighbor horses like Duke did last year!  Not as long as that tree itself stays up anyway.  Hey - I REALLY want that whole darned tree GONE!  I'll have to look into that.  I'll bet Bryan will be glad to cut the thing down for us.  I'll check with him this weekend.  Right now?  Time for bed - in my nice DARK bedroom.  ;-D

No comments: